marți, iulie 03, 2007

Alpha Centauri - part III

He woke up… his brain was screaming Alpha… but he did not know who he was yet…

Where am I?

You are in the same holographic room.

Why am I still here?

Because you still need to recover some more.

Maybe the drug did not have the desired effect and because they wanted my brain intact they did not want to risk an overdose.

Didn’t the drug have the desired effect?

It did, but you woke up too soon and now your mind has blocked some information to protect itself. You now need to rest as your mind will recover itself.

Ok… now I have all the information in my brain back, but can not access it because my brain is self protecting itself… so… all I can do now is just sit back and enjoy my stay with her…

Is this setting the only one that can exist or you can change it?

The setting is the one that your mind created and only you can change it and mold it to your own desire. One aspect you should know is that the program will not modify the setting if it considers to be harmful for your mind.

In that case I just want the setting to change to a beautiful mountain top.

It does not work that way… because you do not really want it… The program analyses what you want and will change the setting… but will not react to vocal commands.

It looks like I must really think of where I want to be and change the setting as to fit my needs… well I now think of a beautiful seaside, nobody around… just a house on the beach…

The scenery changed to what he desired… a beautiful house on a deserted beach…

It looks like it works this way… maybe I can try something else… I wish her to tell me all I need to know… and answer all my questions without evading the answers

Who is my wife?

At this point in time we can surely say that your wife is dead, and what is left of her is the image that you see before you.

This triggered a reaction in his brain, releasing all memories of his wife into his unaware brain… it looked as if it worked… there were two solutions… either the program gave complete answers either he was asking the correct questions… He decided to continue.

Who is Alpha?

You are Alpha, the first of your kind.

He felt like something was about to surface... so he needed to press on.

Why am I Alpha?

Because… because… because… and she began fading away…

He asked the wrong question… and the program could not handle it… there was a conflict…

If she can not answer my questions she is useless… although she looks like my ex wife… she is still a computer program… she will reboot… so…

Why am I Alpha?

Because… because… because… because… her image continued to fade into nothingness…

Because you were the first of your kind, the first one that could accurately control this holographic room… because you were the first one that made our enemies and conquerors afraid of us… her image was back in full force.

The first one that made our enemies and conquerors afraid of us? What did she want to say?

Images rushed into his mind… with fury and force… each of them falling into its place completing his memories… making him remember… all and everything…

He shouted: Code Alpha – CL0 – 1A…

Alpha Centauri – part II
Alpha Centauri – part I

3 comentarii:

  1. Really nice the 3rd part, yet still confusing, since the mystery that surrounds this guy does not seem to dissipate even a little. The alternation of planes ( outside view and his own inner thoughts) maintains though the suspense, while allowing us to see into the character's thoughts.
    For the following parts I think you should nevertheless expand a bit into some action, maybe even a flashback or something, an I believe you could then cut it abruptly to the current situation, since this type of alternation seems to work very nicely in here.
    But I want to read more, since there is a lot of suspense and the character is interesting and profound.

    Waiting for part 4.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  2. forgot to say I am very curious who he was indeed!!!

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  3. "We are such stuff as dreams are made of".... but not only us - everything surrounding us is a dream... your story is a dream of a dream. who wants to wake up? do we ever wake up? I am quite sure the answer is negative... so, dream on, darling!

    somehow, in an exquisite twist of the brush, you managed to give me some answers to my own questions, dazzling a bit those demons ever tormenting my soul...

    I like the story not for the mystery or for the style it is written in (although I couldn't expect less of you ;)), but for the voyage itself... it's been so long since I haven't done that and you know it gives me a surreal pleasure (you may think of me as being a pervert)... in the end, what really matters is the voyage into your own soul, into the ocean of your own thoughts and feelings, trying to get an idea of yourself, using for this purpose the life, the trilemma, the experience of a character. it is not important who your hero is as long as he helps you reach an unexpected level of your personality, pushing the limits of thinking and feeling far away into the abyss of the unknown, beyond any frontier you could ever imagine.
    "Space.... The final frontier
    These are the voyages of the Starship, Human Essence
    Its long life mission
    To explore strange new worlds
    To seek out new life and new civilizations
    To boldly go where no man has gone before".
    and thus you may find yourself becoming an ALPHA...

    Anyway, I wait for the next part of your short story to be as appealing as this one and PLEASE do not let me guess the "grand final"...

    RăspundețiȘtergere